Monday, June 17, 2013

Everything is an experiment. It's ok to swim upstream... I think.


DISCLAIMER: I am working on Friends Without Benefits: An Unrequited Romance exclusively right now. I will not be working on any non-Knitting in the City books until book#4 of the series is complete (and Janie and Quinn's next book is complete). I may write a few short stories here and there, but nothing epic...

Ok, disclaimer over.

Short Summary: I have ideas for lots of different kinds of books... we cool? Or do I need to change my name?

Long Narrative: 
I have an idea for a science fiction/ fantasy trilogy. I've been thinking about it since I was eleven. It involves an ice planet of all women where their blood is currency in the Universe. You see, their blood extends life, cures illness, and is basically the most amazing thing since Tom Hiddleston agreed to play Loki in the movie Thor. The universe is at the mercy of this ice planet. There is political intrigue, etc., etc., and- of course- a romance.

I have another idea for a non-fiction book entitled "Dating Your Job" which is basically a comedy-professional-development-mentorship book which draws comparisons between finding and keeping a job and finding and keeping a romantic partner.

I have another idea for a children's/YA novel about a girl who runs away from her foster home to visit her best friend across the country and ends up on a crazy, magical adventure with a woman of indeterminate age (meaning, the woman's appearance keeps changing- young, old, somewhere in between.)

I have another idea for a literary fiction novel about... well, blah blah blah. You get the point.

I have a lot of ideas. Those ideas basically run the gambit of genres.

So,  my question is, will I encourage wrath if I used "Penny Reid" for all of these writing genres? Or must I change my name? Must I develop multiple author personalities? 

I'd like to think I can just be plain old Penny. I'd like to think people won't lose their minds with angsty anger if I move from genre to genre.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Penny, you should use the name that you are comfortable with for any or all of your books. One of my "all time favorite authors" writes under 3 different names depending on which "time period" her book is written in. For a long time, I didn't know. When I did find out (finally),I was busy tracking down all of the books that I had missed. I love her books because of the way she writes. Same way I feel about your writing. Good luck with whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Joan <3
      I completely agree.
      It has been fascinating to read responses from readers verses authors. Authors- so far- seem to feel very strongly that a new pen name is needed. Readers, like you stated above, tend to want one name associated with all titles (when they find an author they enjoy) so that the books can be easily located.

      Now, the new question of most interest to me is: why is there a disconnect between what authors think is right and reader preference. Very interesting...

      Delete